UGMuscle

Scales that measure BF

Scales that measure BF

Hi All,

Has anyone used these scales that measure body fat? Like for example the Withings body+

Withings Body+ - Smart Body Composition Wi-Fi Digital Scale with smartphone app

Sorry I can’t allow links to be posted once you have been around longer and we get to know you better than you can post links.

I did a dunk tank body fat check with a gear hoe … i mean bro a while back seemed to be accurate showed me to weigh 205 with no fat which is close a ride 220-240 bulk 205-215 running my ass off it also showed you what calorie intake and how much you would burn based on results on different activities my buddy is a lot leaner and bigger than me and his results seemed legit for his build as well don’t know if it is the best I have a hard time with calipers cause I’m lean in some spots but have a lot of skin in others I came from a fat 325lb start

2 Likes

Back in the day when working at a couple universities, we had access to a DEXA machine which to this day I believe is still the gold standard (previously was underwater weighing) for determining not only lean and fat mass, but bone mineral density. However, those are very expensive tests if you request it to be done unless you have inside connections or if insurance covers it. With the improvements in technology, I believe bioelectrical impedance devices, which can be a hand held device or part of a weight scale may be one of the better options for most, although skin caliper tests are more accurate since it takes into account the entire body (but that requires a trained health worker). Bioelectrical impedance does have a downfall as the current usually will go just through just the upper or lower body depending on the device. Even though not quite as accurate as more expensive devices, or to be performed by a trained professional, if used regularly at the same time of day and with the same model you still should be able to effectively track your progress over time.

2 Likes

Was that even English? Lol this guy came to our gym in an big ass box truck he made you get in the back take off your cloths and put the lotion on or it gets the hose wait wait he had a big ass stainless steal tank with some stuff in it full of water made you go underwater and let out all of your air had it hiked to a machine and computer

2 Likes

Is that English you should get the hose lol
Put the lotion on your skin

1 Like

This was me I had to edit the post to remove the product

1 Like

Lol :sunglasses:. Didn’t mean to get too technical. Basically, in short form, the products the OP mentioned are likely all bioelectrical impedance technology. IMO, for most people, those will be sufficient to to track regular progress. However, I’d recommend occasionally getting your BF measured using the skin fold calipers that most trainers in the gym have and have had experience using to get a more true measurement. :+1:

2 Likes

It was a great explanation and very much appreciated. I will find some where that does it manually and also do it daily on this Withings Smart Scale. At the nurses office at my job we can use a machine that prints BF and a lot more. I don’t know the brand. But it says Tanita on the top of the print out. You stand on it with bare feet and hold onto a bar. I’ll cross reference with that as soon as we return to the office. Thanks again for the info :blush:

1 Like

That’s ok i fully understand :blush:

1 Like

I love my “Skuplt Chisel”. It’s a newer technology but it works gr8 for me. The manufacturer claims it’s within 1% of a Dexa scan.
Consistent results from day to day (although you must use it only first ting in the morning, before working out).

1 Like

Thanks this seems to be a very interesting device :blush:

Here’s what the app looks like:

2 Likes

Looks like the Tanita devices are bioelectrical impedance. However, it appears it’s a step up as the measurement is taken through the entire body. With just scale sensors it will just assess your lower body as the current will just go up one leg then down the other. The ones I’m seeing also incorporate two sensors that you hold to get upper body as well.

Here’s what I found from their site:
All Tanita body composition monitors use advanced Bioelectric Impedance Analysis (BIA) technology. When you stand on a Tanita monitor, a very low, safe electrical signal is sent from four metal electrodes through your feet to your legs and abdomen. In segmental models, the four hand-held electrodes will provide extra readings for each leg, arm and abdominal area.
The electrical signal passes quickly through water that is present in hydrated muscle tissue but meets resistance when it hits fat tissue. This resistance, known as impedance, is measured and input into scientifically validated Tanita equations to calculate body composition measurements. Depending on the monitor, body composition measurements are provided in under 20 seconds.”

2 Likes

@MySQLMan Oh I like that. It looks very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I may invest in one to try it

1 Like

@Shock6050. Wow the technology is pretty amazing. It will be interesting so see the difference between the smart scale and the Tanita scale. I’ll be remote still for a few weeks, so I will have to wait to test. Very interesting stuff though.

@MySQLMan That is really cool! Technology has definitely improved a ton over the past 10 years or so. Typically could only zero in on specific body parts by using a DEXA in a lab. I also used to run a BodPod When managing exercise physiology studies quite awhile ago if anyone has heard of those. It basically looks like a futuristic space shuttle. It calculates metrics using air displacement technology. See below. Looks like something from Back to the Future.

1 Like

@Shock6050 not sure I would like getting in one of those. It’s fascinating stuff to say the least

@MySQLMan, so is this image telling you the BF for each side? If so I guess you right handed ?

@Jajana
LOL. No not recommending buying that at all unless have a significant amount of cash to burn! Just was showing another example of a device that measures BF. The science behind it is really cool IMO, but I do work as a scientist, though not directly related to the fitness industry anymore. I’m pretty sure the BodPod still costs thousands of dollars and probably isn’t sold for home use. I’d go with the scales you initially mentioned! :+1:

It’s definitely uncomfortable getting in and staying still the whole time. You also need to blow into a “hose” to get all air out too! However no lotion as mentioned above. Haha

Any communication between a site sponsor is strictly between the member and sponsor directly. Please check the laws of your country before you order any of their products. The onus is on the buyer, and the sponsor nor UGMuscle.com will not be responsible in any way if you break the laws of where you live.