Serious Growth lll Training Program - Leo Costa

<%= @topic_view.topic.title %>
<%= @topic_view.topic.average_rating %> <%= @topic_view.topic.posts.count { |p| !!p.custom_fields['rating'] } %>

Hey guys and girls!
As I said in my introduction yesterday, I am switching from a powerlifting to a bodybuilding style workout. During the 7 months I was out of the gym I researched everything i could about science-based training where all variables (intensity, volume, frequency, type, duration, exercise selection) were addressed apropriately. I came upon Leo Costa’s program “Big Beyond Belief - Serious Growth lll” which have all these variables taken into account. My question is, has anyone here used it, and if not, would it be ok if someone experienced took a look at it?
Thanks a bunch,
Gainzilla

2 Likes

I’m interested @rnmuscle or @PHD might know a bit about this.
Im going to look into it

2 Likes

I’ve been sick all week, thanks for the laugh, off the very top of my head I thought it was like the Phil Hernon Bulgarian blast, which when talking to him he actually did, were they not both a 10 x 10 progressive weight addition and reps but I think it was like the same workout 5 days a week. There was a time when Steve michalik , platz, overtrained. Leo Costa ,I think had a aneurysm, they all did multiple workouts per day, I know I’m in the ballpark. DC training had somewhat the idea. Train chest with one exercise but like a few days in a row. Defendis , john did a crazy 70 set routine. Johnnie Morant, and Phil hill trained crazy too…Phil hill was like a older time kai green.

1 Like

Thanks for the sharing of knowledge @rnmuscle Yeah it’s similar to DC training in a way. I kinda like the low volume high intensity style of training. It makes more sense to me since you’re stimulating MPS without too much tissue breakdown, so recovery is shorter which theoretically could lead to more gains in the long run since you can train with higher frequency. I think I’m gonna run the 4 day split for 12 weeks and see how it works out

I have tried similar training. I think its great to know you are gonna do this exercise and only 5 sets, so u can just go all out. After, a certain age and when you have to get mature, dense, grainy muscle, then I like most of the year high volume heavy, which is relative, and drop sets. I like the way Seth feroce trains now, 100 x 7 on an exercise then Drop to50 x 14, great pump.

1 Like

Never heard of it. I’ve done D.C. Training in the past it’s awesome but opens you up to injuries. I like time under tension training personally. I’ve done high volume low volume and heavy training. Basically if it works for you then stick with it. Meaning break the muscle down and really get that mind to muscle connection and feel each rep each set not just go through the movements really feel it. Good luck

1 Like

Perfecto. You must be a student of Milos​:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:. There was no “supplement” that replaces that advice and hopefully everyone gets there before being forced. I had a second tríceps rupture in 2000, and just gave up. My buddy sat me done and we looked at some powerlifting usas and even though I knew this, I still was trying to be Trevor smith(rip) and still did 90 lb db curls and other 6 to I rep sloppy shit. I looked better at 4 weeks out of a show then at a show. I finally noticed the small except a few, lamar gant, even mighty ed coan, over 2200 at 198, 215… Not bbing look. I never did drop sets, giant sets, etc. Since then, I never don’t continue a working set. I couldn’t press so I did all types of light flyes only stopping when I was pumped. Man, my chest was striated, doing legs correctly did wonders. And I’ve never been injured in the gym again. Only when my big fat ass played in a softball league… One game one at bat one torn PCL and patellar tendon :sob::sob::sob::smiling_imp:

1 Like

Thanks! Just finished a back, chest, bicep and calf workout. 3 sets of each @13-15 reps each to absolute failure. I chose lat pulldowns behind the neck, incline db flyes, alternating db curls, and standing calf raises. later on this week im hitting the same workout but alternating exercises so that i can hit all angles. the pump was absolutely insane. 3 sets of lat pulldowns had my lats on fire. in and out of the gym in 30 min.

1 Like

Awesome. Try doing them time under tension it hits a whole different angle and fibers

1 Like

Yeah I did! Held them at peak contraction for 2 counts and never let the tension go away at the top. Tomorrow I’m gonna have invisible lat syndrome :joy:

Awesome but that’s not time under tension. Tempo should be 4:0:2:0 try that on all movements. May need to rest 1-2 minutes between sets

Oh I thought I was doing TUT. Always learning! I will try it out today your advice is much appreciated

1 Like

Does this mean 4 second negative and 2 second positive or opposite?

1 Like

Correct. I sometimes go even slower on the negative. Sucks when you squat

Oddly enough I had switch to John meadow style training this last week and I just got to Legs today and he preaches a lot of that TUT on his leg Press and hacks. Even adding in pauses at the bottom.

1 Like

Guys i’ve decided to do an update on this training method. Bottom line: it works really well for me. Strength is going up, as well as a more round look in the delts and arms.
I’ve added a solid 1.5lbs since i started 20 days ago and since there were no dietary changes, supplement changes, or cardio changes or anything else i can tell its probably all muscle. One disclaimer, however, if you have problems with recovering your CNS this program isnt for you. It really takes a hit since you are always going to failure. This last week i did sets 5 sets of 12-15 reps to failure on the deadlift with 315lbs and it kicked me so hard when i got home i slept for 2h straight. Be sure to get your rest if you decide to try this out

Any communication between a site sponsor or source is strictly between the member and source directly. Please check the laws of your country before you order any of their products. The onus is on the buyer, and the sponsor or UGMuscle.com will not be responsible in any way if you break the laws of where you live.For advertising enquiries contact [email protected]ugmuscle dot com.