UGMuscle

Sumo vs Conventional squats

So maybe someone can tell me how much of a difference or what I’m losing by staggering my stance when I squat. I do it for good reason. Due to two separate motorcycle accidents I was left with a titanium rod in my left lower leg and fractured two vertebrae in another accident. Since then my squats have been altered to keep pressure off those areas. Dead lifting I only go conventional stance however. But squatting I have to stagger my feet or else I’ll tap out with far less weight before any real work is done. So what am I losing by this, if anything? And if so, how can I make up for it. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Sumo is less pressure on the knees. Takes a bit to get used to but will come around quick. Anything you miss on sumo “muscle focus wise” you can make up with leg press. If switched to sumo a few years back and it easier on my knees.

2 Likes

So much easier on my knees! So much that it was easier to put up more weight. Then I thought I must be cheating somehow.

I honestly Ti k they should be treated as two different lifts

Why do you say that??

I was reading as dead lifts sqUats I never called it sumo just wide stance squats

Yeah wider and feet pointed outward squats.

Well yeah just never thought to call them that. Hell in my kind I just think :thought_balloon: f suited squats with that style. I was doing wider stance with feet more outward but recently switch to more narrow and I find I’m doing better. I don’t have the flexibility in adductors for it

Yeah I don’t have the flexibility there either. That’s why I’m finding wider stance is the way to go for me.

Then you must have flexibility there if you go wide. I could barely get parallel with wide stance looked like
I was suited raw when I would descend

Not sure what you mean by suited raw but yes I have much better flexibility with wife stance.

It looks like I’m squatting with a geared suit on when raw they are that tight

I also love auto correct to wife stance like women should have legs wide open

Any communication between a site sponsor is strictly between the member and sponsor directly. Please check the laws of your country before you order any of their products. The onus is on the buyer, and the sponsor nor UGMuscle.com will not be responsible in any way if you break the laws of where you live.