Volume vs. Intensity

Hello, as an older iron and steel mover Its getting tougher and tougher to stay with the mental game of intensity training. I have been doing a lot of research on volume training and was thinking of trying that for a while. My question is can growth be induced with volume training? Or would I maintain what I have and just get more endurance and shape? I’m thinking my age putting on 20 more pounds is probably not going to happen. And I to stay in the game I think I need to change my style to keep those injuries at bay. Taking me 8-10 weeks to recover from dings sucks ass if your a intensity trainer. Anyone of you care to elaborate? My prime weight is 255. 16% bf I’m 6’4” and 56 yo to give you the base model number. :joy:

Making me feel short, I’m 6’ almost 6’1 :persevere: haha. Talk to @rnmuscle he’s another Gramps on here, and he’s very knowledgeable.

2 Likes

I can tell you that 100% volume is key to my growth. I can get strong as an ox doing compounds 5x5 and similar but nothing has worked for pure hypertrophy like volume. John Meadows programs are designed on volume and progressive overload and they are some of the toughest workouts I’ve ever done. Sure, benching 600lbs for a single rep shows raw power but the guy that can bench 275 for 15 to 20 reps is likely just as strong.

5 Likes

You just made me smile great big. I’ll check out John Meadows. Pick up a couple ideas and get to work. Thanks @Berserker!!

2 Likes

I will do that. Thanks!

1 Like

I gotta completely agree with you on this. I’m sure @phd would as well, he’s seeing sick gains from Meadows programs.

1 Like