UGMuscle

Wearing a belt while benching?

So I was wondering why some use a belt while bench pressing. I’ve been seeing it at the gym lately. It’s not a situation where they’ve just finished squatting or deadlifting. Usually with some high weight but not always. Was curious is this is something I should be doing or what purpose it serves.

2 Likes

Im not sure how much there lifting possibly they have one of those belts that they can release the pressure in between using it and they just where it the whole time.
I don’t wear a belt when I bench but I don’t put up big numbers because of an injury awhile back.

1 Like

Has to do with pressure and using your abdominal muscle to increase load. I never wore a belt on bench, but I’m not pushing 500 pounds either. One of my lifting partners wore a belt, but he was in the 500 pound plus club. But anything below 500 he didn’t wear one. Unless your in that crazy range, personally, I don’t wear it. But I’ve seen guys pushing 225 and snap on a belt. :wink:

3 Likes

Like @TBU said, it’s mostly for keeping your core tight and giving your abdominal wall something to push off when you fill your belly with air. Just like on a squat or deadlift. I personally never benched with a belt, I didn’t ever feel it beneficial to my bench, however my best bench was in the low 300’s. Most of the guys you see wearing them are probably gym bros who wear it mostly for looks and aesthetics rather than functionality, and pull it so fucking tight they cut off the blood to their brain.

3 Likes

I was almost there in that club. Maybe one day

2 Likes

@Dirtnasty. You’ll get there, let your body heal. Learn from me, the 40 year old with a fake hip! You’ll be in the 500 club on bench, and within the next year, I’ll be pulling over 500 again on my new hip!

1 Like

I hope so. Today really took the wind out of my sails at least I got the deadlift to get to 700 now

1 Like

Grab the bar, load the hammys and pull!

1 Like

I throw my belt on anytime I’m benching over 450 because it helps me brace my core and keep my lats tight. Nothing worse that getting a lat cramp when I’m holding 500 over my chest.

1 Like
Any communication between a site sponsor is strictly between the member and sponsor directly. Please check the laws of your country before you order any of their products. The onus is on the buyer, and the sponsor nor UGMuscle.com will not be responsible in any way if you break the laws of where you live.